Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
21.11.17 at 08:54:42

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Search Login Register
Kampforum.no  |  Generelt  |  Treningsrelatert  |  Treningsdagbok  |  Topic: Simon's Training Log 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 Go Down Print

Simon's Training Log

Eirich
Veteran

Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #390 on: 10.01.11 at 22:52:01 »

Any tips?, 1x135 is impressive for that bodyweight. I myself is also 82-84 and i got 1x122,5 as max. But hopefully rising now that im back to training again. But always interested in different views and opionions on the matter smile

You have been baptized in fire and blood and have come out steel!
Simon Flack
Survival Stress Response Trainer
Veteran

« Reply #391 on: 11.01.11 at 08:17:40 »

As you can see I have been pyramiding lately... 9x100, 4x110, 2 x120, 1x130 etc etc. And traiing a lot less volume. This seems to work for me when doing a strength cycle.  I only train bench press for a short period once or twice a year as it gives me sore shoulders. I mainly train chest using incline dumbell presses.

Other than that I think back and lats play a bigger part than most people think. I have been working on squeezing my lats at the bottom of the movement after reading an article in a magazine. Seems to feel more stable.

I have aimed for a 10kg increase in bench per year. I have acheived it so far. I am confident 140kg by march is do'able. Maybe even 145kg.

Eat correctly, Sleep enough and Train with intensity... But if your lifting 122kg at 82kg BW you already know that. So more of the same I guess.

Simon Flack
Senior Instructor, SECA-Group,Norway
web: www.seca-group.com,email: simon@seca-group.com
Agandhjin
Autentisk Kampentusiast
Guru

« Reply #392 on: 11.01.11 at 09:38:23 »

I know I mentioned this earlier, and I seem to remember that we somewhat agree to disagree on this, but...

Are you 'moving' enough? To keep yourself in tune with timing, distance controll and tactical movement?
It seems like you are to a great deal of isolation workouts, but little general movement.

Dan Thomas Agandhjin Marceliussen Blogg
Juggernaut Fight Group
Eirich
Veteran

Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #393 on: 11.01.11 at 13:36:41 »

I wouldn`t call the big 4 isolation workouts thou. What is said thou is that so few gyms have the proper setup to do olympic style lifting wich is the best asset to martial arts training IMHO.

Agandhjin
Autentisk Kampentusiast
Guru

« Reply #394 on: 11.01.11 at 13:52:14 »

Well, poor choice of words.... My point is; Strength in itself does not resolve a situation. You will need timing, distance and technical adjustments as well. 

Juggernaut Fight Group
Eirich
Veteran

Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #395 on: 11.01.11 at 13:55:06 »

Ok, i misunderstood Wink

Simon Flack
Veteran

« Reply #396 on: 11.01.11 at 14:30:28 »

Well, poor choice of words.... My point is; Strength in itself does not resolve a situation. You will need timing, distance and technical adjustments as well.

I agree 100%. But I do believe a little extra strength and size can often be better than a lot of extra technique.

Example: Last night I was watching a tv series where a few guys from various disiplines/sports travel to different countries and compete against local experts in local sports.
The episode last night involved a form of wrestling/grappling. The MMA guy actually lost his fight but the big strong Boxer beat a local champion.

I would have expected the MMA guy to be the stronger grappler but the size and strength of the boxer actually proved to be a better attribute to have.

Dont get me wrong.. You need both. Just that 4 years of strength/size training might actually be more benificial to an experienced fighter with 20+ years martial arts background than 4 more years of martial arts training. I dont think I have forgotten how to fight just because I am focusing a little more on weight training these days.

(Note: I still train SECA just not 3 times a week like I used to. More maintainance than learning.)

« Last Edit: 11.01.11 at 14:44:56 by Simon Flack » Logged

Simon Flack
Agandhjin
Autentisk Kampentusiast
Guru

« Reply #397 on: 11.01.11 at 14:41:43 »

Agree. Balancing...

Juggernaut Fight Group
Eirich
Veteran

Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #398 on: 11.01.11 at 14:43:30 »

I agree 100%. But I do believe a little extra strength and size can often be better than a lot of extra technique.

Example: Last night I was watching a tv series where a few guys from various disiplines/sports travel to different countries and compete against local experts in local sports.
The episode last night involved a form of wrestling/grappling. The MMA guy actually lost his fight but the big strong Boxer beat a local champion.

I would have expected the MMA guy to be the stronger grappler but the size and strength of the boxer actually proved to be a better attribute to have.

Dont get me wrong.. You need both. Just that 4 years of strength/size training might actually be more benificial to an experienced fighter with 20+ years martial arts background than 4 more years of martial arts training. I dont think I have forgotten how to fight just because I am focusing a little more on weight training these days.

(Note: I still train SECA just not 3 times a week like I used to. More maintainance than learning.)

What tv-series?

Simon Flack
Veteran

« Reply #399 on: 11.01.11 at 14:46:21 »

I dont know the name of it (tv-series)... It was just on when I happened to be sitting there. I'll try to find out.

Another way to look at it. If I was to go back in time 4 years and fight the 30yr old version of myself that was training SECA 3 times per week I am pretty certain that I would kick his arse. If I went back even further to fight the 21 yr old Simon that trained BJJ 19 hours a week and ran 7km every morning I am pretty sure I'd kick his arse too considering I am now 20kg heavier and twice as strong.

Simon Flack
Eirich
Veteran

Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #400 on: 11.01.11 at 14:53:28 »

Hehe, back in the days i was pretty occupied by weight and size. If i go back 2-3 years i would kick my own ass, even thou im 20kg LIGHTER today, but im much stronger than back then smile

Simon Flack
Veteran

« Reply #401 on: 11.01.11 at 15:10:14 »

Hehe. But that pretty much sums it up. The outcome of an encouter is decided on many factors like size, strength, balance, agility, technical skills, fighting style etc etc. You are only as strong as your weakest link. At 174cm and 65kg my weakest link was size and strength. Something I noticed everytime I fought a larger and stronger attacker. Other people may need to loose weight to improve agility etc etc.

I belive that a persons time is best spent bringing up their weakest parts rather than ignoring them and continuing to train what comes easiest or is most enjoyable.
In bodybuilding this is known as weakpoint training and I feel that it applies  just as much to self defense and combat in general.
« Last Edit: 11.01.11 at 15:25:34 by Simon Flack » Logged

Simon Flack
Eirich
Veteran

Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #402 on: 11.01.11 at 17:34:29 »

Couldn`t agree more smile

Many neglect their weakest link due to ego, and therefore proceed with only their strong parts, because that feeds the ego.

Simon Flack
Veteran

« Reply #403 on: 12.07.11 at 11:33:54 »

Been a while since I posted here. I have been really busy since september last year putting together a new IT company and have been pretty much working 13 hour days since then. I'm on holidays now so I might as well post while I have the chance.

I have still been training regularly. 3 times a week.

Monday: Chest and Biceps
Wednesday: Back and Triceps
Friday: Legs, Neck and Shoulders

3 - 4 sets of 6 - 12 reps with 30 - 90 seconds rest between sets and exercises.

I am still using the good old Weider Principles and gaining steadily (although not as fast now). I am currently around 86kg (21 kg heavier than day 0).

I benched 140kg in march and I am stronger in pretty much all exercises.

I have not been using any supplements (Whey, Creatine, Vitamins etc) from January until now. I have noticed some difference but not much. I will start supplementing again after the holidays.

In order the supplements I miss the most are:

1. Omega 3 - I'm seem to feel stiffer and my joints hurt more after a period without this.
2. Multi-Vitamins - Now I have to be a lot more careful to get vitamins from food which can get annoying.
3. Creatine Monohydrate - I really notice the loss of that "extra-rep" and general training energy.
4. Whey Protein - Again... Now I have to be more careful to eat lost of protein... This has gotten very boring.

I will be going back to all of these and ZMA (Zinc & Magnessium) after summer break.

As always... Here are some progress pics from this week.

Looking a lot heavier across my shoulders and chest. My arms are also larger.

Still getting better. 2006 v's 2011 is now really noticeable.

I am now in my 5th year of Natural Bodybuilding and continue to improve my bodies composition. I really cant believe that people can say these "old" principles dont work for "normal" people not using steroids.

All my reading and the advice I have been given told me it would take around 5 years of training naturally to get a bodybuilding style body composition. I still have 6 months left of bulking after the holidays. My goal will be 88kg offseason. I am really happy with the results so far and it seems that I will continue to improve my overall body composition and health for a few more years at least.
« Last Edit: 12.07.11 at 14:30:23 by Simon Flack » Logged

Simon Flack
Agandhjin
Autentisk Kampentusiast
Guru

« Reply #404 on: 12.07.11 at 18:35:01 »

Looking good!

Juggernaut Fight Group
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 Go Up Print 
Kampforum.no  |  Generelt  |  Treningsrelatert  |  Treningsdagbok  |  Topic: Simon's Training Log « previous next »
Jump to:  

Social sharing